They picked up plenty of silverware during their time at Old Trafford, with the historic Champions League triumph in 1999 a stand-out memory.
Solskjaer, who has followed in the footsteps of his former boss after being handed the reins at United on a permanent basis, was far from happy with Ferguson during the half-time interval of that clash, however.
In an interview with FourFourTwo back in April 2016, the Norwegian revealed that the Scot triggered him to go on and make a difference that night after opting to put on Teddy Sheringham ahead of him.
He said: “He spoke to Teddy at length at half-time and that pissed me off.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Barcelona vs Manchester United (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Juventus vs Ajax (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
“I thought: ‘I’ve scored 17 goals for you this season, mostly coming on as sub – aren’t you going to speak to me?’ Then Teddy went on.
“That’s the way to trigger me; to make me feel: ‘I’m going to prove you wrong’.”
All was forgotten, however, with Solskjaer eventually getting on the field and scoring United’s second injury-time goal to secure them European glory – and a remarkable Treble.