Is Jenson Button considering a full-time comeback?

McLaren ambassador and F1 dilettante Jenson Button isn’t ruling out a full-time comeback to the sport next year, regardless of the outcome of his upcoming one-off in Monaco.

The Brit will replace Indy 500-bound Fernando Alonso in accordance with his two-year contract with McLaren which allowed the team to call at will upon the services of the 2009 world champion.

“I am thinking of Monaco as my only race this year,” Button told the Daily Mail.

“Obviously if I am asked again at another point in the year I am here to fill that seat. But I am not going to go out of my way to ask to drive because the whole idea was not to.”

  • Hamilton: ‘That’s how racing should be!’

Button said his 2018 plans were currently up in the air, and wouldn’t rule a full-time return in 2018 while also revealing that two rival teams had even tabled offers earlier this year.

“I can’t rule [2018] out,” Button said.

“I have a contract with the team to race next year so I would definitely not rule anything out.

“I had so many options to race this year it is hilarious. That even went into this year with two different teams asking me to race. I have no interest in doing that.”

 

Win the ULTIMATE TRACKDAY with F1i.com!

GALLERY: All the action from Barcelona on Sunday

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *