The Liverpool defender has not played since fracturing his leg in a 3-1 win at Burnley in December.
The 21-year-old resumed training at the end of last month, but is yet to be included in a matchday squad.
Reds boss Klopp believes Gomez, who was forming a solid defensive partnership with Virgil van Dijk prior to his injury, is ‘one or two weeks’ away from a first-team return.
He said: “We wanted to have Joe around, not because he is now 100 per cent ready but it was just nice to have him.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Preston vs Leeds (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
“He could be maybe [available] but for him it’s better to have more sessions. Joe needs that, he is not long enough in training.
“If we don’t struggle players-wise, that we don’t have enough, then we should not think about Joe for the next one or two weeks because now he needs really proper training. He was around, that was good.”