Tottenham have ‘grave concerns’ over UEFA’s punishment to Barcelona after stewards attacked their supporters at Nou Camp

The LaLiga side were handed a £17,546 fine by the governing body on Friday for ‘insufficient organisation’ during the Group B game between the two teams in December.

The charge relates to the conduct of their stewards, with video footage emerging on social media after the game apparently showing a section of fans being struck with batons inside the ground, while other supporters were also filmed getting struck on the way into the stadium.

The club, in co-ordination with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, compiled evidence to hand to UEFA, which resulted in Friday’s punishment. But Spurs feel the sanction is too lenient.

“The safety and well-being of our supporters is paramount to the club when travelling both domestically and overseas,” the club said in a statement.

“The treatment our fans received in Barcelona some six months ago was completely unacceptable, something UEFA has acknowledged, and some are still recovering as a result of this ordeal.

“We went to great lengths, along with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, to gather evidence so UEFA could take appropriate action.

“We thank them for assisting us in gathering the necessary information.

“No visiting supporters should have to experience what our fans went through that night again.

“We have grave concerns, however, that the punishment imposed will not act as enough of a deterrent to avoid a repeat.”

The supporters’ trust was far more damning in its assessment.

“The charge against Barcelona was ‘insufficient organisation’,” it said in a statement.

“To be clear, that night saw unprovoked, indiscriminate assaults on our fans by stadium security forces outside and inside the stadium.

“Evidence of those assaults has been widely circulated on video so there can be no doubt about the facts.

“We submitted a detailed dossier of accounts from supporters who were caught up in that night’s violence.

“That was submitted, alongside a formal complaint from THFC and observations from the FA observer present, to UEFA in the immediate aftermath of the game. It has taken UEFA nearly six months to come to a decision.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *