Dutch FA rules specify at least two days of rest between games and that all clubs play on the last two matchdays.
Ajax were set to play De Graafschap on Sunday, 28 April, then travel to Spurs for the first leg on Tuesday, 30 April. As it stands now, they play Vitesse on 23 April before a seven-day rest period.
“We have discussed various scenarios,” said Dutch FA (KNVB) technical director Eric Gudde on its website. “This decision has now been discussed with all clubs but they must of course still discuss this with the municipalities and the police.”
It said the change was needed because Ajax were in the Champions League semi-finals, the Dutch Cup final and challenging for the Eredivisie title – but stressed it was about player welfare and not a decision designed to give the team an advantage over the Premier League side.
It added clubs agreed when the fixture list was compiled at the start of the season that changes may need to be made in ‘the very small chance that one of the clubs would go that far in the Champions League’.
“What is really nice is the reason why this was necessary — the semi-final place of Ajax in the Champions League. Not only Ajax, but all Dutch football benefits from this.”
The regular Dutch league season will be extended to 15 May.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
Ajax are top of the Eredivisie table on goal difference from PSV Eindhoven, with both clubs on 74 points after 30 games. They are also in the Dutch Cup final, playing Willem II on 5 May.
Spurs, meanwhile, host West Ham on Saturday 27 April at 12.30pm in their bid to finish in the top four.